Set up your Notifications to control how Schoology contacts you about your child’s school activities. To set up notifications, select Notifications from the dropdown menu in the upper-right corner.
Setting Up Your Parent Email Digest
The Schoology Parent Email Digest is a brief summary of your child’s activities delivered right to your inbox. Here, you can opt to receive it on a daily or weekly basis.
A Parent Email Digest contains information such as courses your child is enrolled in, grade and attendance information, and overdue and upcoming assignments. Depending on the settings configured by your child’s teachers and school administrators, an example of a Parent Email Digest might look like this:
Overdue Submissions Email
In addition to the Parent Email Digest email, you can opt to receive additional email notifications when your child has an overdue assignment:
Once you have configured your Parent Email Digest and Overdue Submissions Email settings, click Save Changes.
The Account Settings page is where you can do things like change your password or update your email address. You can also determine your landing page when you log in to Schoology. To go to the Account Settings page, click the Account Settings tab in your notifications screen, or click the arrow in the upper-right corner again and select Account Settings from the menu.
Scroll down to Set Default Account.
This determines the first page you see when you log in to your Schoology account.
Having a Parent account in Schoology is actually like having two accounts:
- Your personal account, with your own name and information;
- Your child’s account, from which you can view Schoology from your child’s perspective, and see what he or she sees.
You can toggle into your child’s account at any time, to stay updated on his or her schoolwork and activity.
From the Default Account menu:
- Select Main Account if you would like to see your own personal account when you log in.
- Select Child’s Account if you want to automatically start in your child’s account when you log in.
Navigating Your Schoology Account
After logging in, you can see the top navigation bar from anywhere in Schoology.
On the left side of the bar, you can navigate to the four main areas of Schoology: Home, Courses, Groups, and Resources.
Clicking Home always brings you back to your home page, the landing page you see when you log in. This is where you see your Recent Activity feed.
Messages & Notifications
When you are in your own Schoology account (not your child’s), icons for messages, connections, and notifications display in the top navigation bar, on the right; you can also click your name to go to your own Personal Profile. Any time someone sends you a message, or does something that pertains to you or your child’s school, it’s easily accessible in the top-right corner of your screen. Everything is chronologically ordered and clickable to make managing them simple.
Viewing Your Child’s Activity
Click on the arrow in the upper-right corner of your account and select your child’s name to view his or her activity.
1. Use the left menu to quickly view specific information about your child’s Schoology activity: Summary: Click to see an overview of your child’s courses and grades (Enrollments in the center column), or notifications about grades on individual assignments (Student Activity in the middle column).
- Grades/Attendance: Review your child’s grades and attendance for all courses.
- Mastery: If your child’s school aligns materials to standard and learning objectives, you can check your child’s progress in this area.
- Calendar: Click to view a calendar of past and upcoming events and assignments. Events and assignments in the near future are also listed in the Upcoming column on the right.
- Messages: View your own messages on Schoology. Messages to your child are private and are not viewable from this area.
2. Select Enrollments in the center column to see a list of the courses your child is currently enrolled in, along with his or her grade. If the teacher or administrator has chosen not to display the grade while the course is in progress, you will see a blank value (as in the grade column for U.S. History, above). Click on an individual course to see grades received on assignments, tests, and discussions from that course.
3. Here, you can see a list of your child’s Schoology Groups. Groups can be used for a variety of activities, from school projects to extracurricular teams and clubs.
4. The Recent Grades/Attendance section displays your child’s recent grade and attendance information.
5. The Overdue section displays a list of course materials your child did not turn in by the due date.
6. The Upcoming section displays a list of your child’s upcoming assignments and events.