Lion's Tale - March 2017
8:30 a.m. First bell - students may enter the building
8:50 a.m. Class starts
4:00 p.m. School dismissed
Students achieve best when they attend school on a regular basis and are at school on time daily.
Message from the Principal . . .
Dear Parents & Community Partners,
Aarion L. Gray, Principal
Character Word of the Month
I will be honest and keep my promises to others.
March 3rd - 5th Grade Field Trip - 8:55 a.m. - 2:30 p.m.
March 10th - 5th Grade Field Trip - 8:55 a.m. - 2:30 p.m.
6th Grade Band Parents
The all-district band concert is March 15. We will practice during our regular band time, but instead of bus riders getting dropped off at SMS they will get dropped off at SHS on March 15. Car riders will need to be dropped off at SHS as well. They will return to their home schools after rehearsal on their normal buses.
All-District Band Concert
Wednesday, March 15th
Seaman High School - 7pm
Student call is 6:40 in the north gym at SHS
Dress is band t-shirt and jeans
On Tuesday, March 7th, SMS counselors will be visiting with our sixth graders about enrollment for next year at SMS. Students will receive enrollment information that they can take home to share with their parents. This will be for students only.
On Thursday, May 4, our sixth graders will have the opportunity to visit SMS during the school day. The 6th Grade Parent Night will be held that evening at 6 p.m. in the SMS gym.
S’More Fun with Math
Logan Elementary hosted it’s annual Title I Math Night on Tuesday, February 28, 2017, from 5:30 –7:00 p.m. Parents, students, and community partners were on hand engaging students in interactive math games to promote critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
Families throughout the district were recently emailed a link to a Family Engagement Survey. This 15-item survey asked parents to rate our building in 5 categories using a scale of 1 (strongly disagree) to 5 (strongly agree). I have included our average rating in each category as well as the average score received by the district. Thank you to those of you who participated in the survey. This information will be helpful to Logan Elementary as we seek to improve the educational outcomes for all students.
Welcoming Environment - 4.03 (district average 4.02)
· In this school, staff (e.g. administrator, teachers, counselor) builds positive relationships with families. – 3.95 (district average 3.97)
· When I walk into this school, I feel welcome. – 4.11 (district average 4.07)
Supporting Student Learning – 4.07 (district average 3.95)
· I am invited to a variety of events about student learning (e.g. open house, new family orientation, back to school nights, or literacy/math nights). – 4.38 (district average 4.3)
· I’m provided understandable data on my child’s progress. – 4.06 (district average 3.99)
· If my child receives additional supports, I am provided with information about these supports. – 3.89 (district average 3.71)
· I’m provided useful information about how to support my child’s learning. – 3.94 (district average 3.77)
Effective Communication – 4.02 (district average 3.87)
· The school offers an easy-to-navigate website with meaningful information. – 4.06 (district average 3.88)
· In this school, staff regularly communicates with me (e.g., communication notebook, letters, postcards, email, phone calls, texts, website, or newsletters) – 3.92 (district average 3.88)
· I’m provided clear information about policies, programs, improvement efforts, and events. – 4.11 (district average 3.91)
· School staff keeps me well informed about how my child is doing in school. – 4.00 (district average 3.82)
Sharing Power and Advocacy – 3.93 (district average 3.85)
· School staff listens to my concerns. – 3.95 (district average 3.93)
· School staff consults me before making important decisions about my child’s education. – 3.94 (district average 3.73)
· I have a good working relationship with school staff in which we solve problems together. – 3.89 (district average 3.89)
Community Involvement - 3.97 (district average 3.75)
· The school partners with businesses and community organizations in a variety of ways (e.g. volunteer opportunities, field trips, guest speakers, mentoring, tutoring, or leadership
· The school helps my family connect with community; resources that we need. - 3.77 (district average 3.56)
Our highest ranked areas were supporting student learning followed by a welcoming environment. Thanks for your continued support as we "Make Every Child a Success Story!"
Parents wanting to transfer their students into a Seaman school must fill out a form which can be found on the Seaman website (www.seamanschools.org). When you go to the website, click on parents, useful forms and click on the “Request for Student Transfer Form” on the right side of the page. This is the form that must be filled out and returned to the Superintendent’s Office by June 1. Whether you are a new or returning transfer student, you have to fill out this form EVERY year. This same process also applies to parents who are transferring within district attendance areas. If you have any questions about student transfers, please contact the Superintendent’s Office at 575-8600. Don’t wait until June 1, make your transfer requests TODAY by using the simple form on the district website.
Logan Elementary Students Demonstrate Caring
Congratulations to the students and staff! As a school, we raised over $ $2,000.00, to support the Pennies for Pasta Campaign. Great job Logan Pride!
Students in grades 3rd – 6th will be taking the Kansas State Assessments beginning March 14th – April 28th. Please make sure that your child gets a good night’s rest, a healthy breakfast and comes prepared to do their best.
Reporting an absence or tardy
Mrs. Simmons keeps track of attendance, not teachers. Please remember to call the office if your child will not be at school by 8:50 a.m. (either due to being tardy or absent). When your child is absent or tardy, a reason must be given.
There are different codes used in PowerSchool that are used for health reporting/monitoring.
When reporting a student as absent, the office can also take requests for missing work. Work can be held in the office for pick-up, sent with a sibling, friend, or neighbor, or held in the classroom for the absent student's return.
Changes in Transportation
Please make sure you contact the school office before 3:15 pm if plans have changed on how your child is to leave school. Likewise, please be advised that we do not allow students to call home to make different arrangements for going home with friends or staying for after school activities including Boys and Girls Club. Plans must be made before they come to school. If your child will be doing something different than their normal routine at the end of the day, please be sure the teacher has a note, or an email with the change has been sent, and the office staff has also been made aware of the change. Again, thanks for helping us keep your child safe.
Call Phil McKay at 785-286-8516.
If you have a child that will be five years old on or before August 31, please contact the Logan Office, at 575-8700, to register for Kindergarten Round-Up. You will need to bring your child’s immunization record and birth certificate.
9:30 – 10:15 a.m. Boys’ Running Events
Girls’ Field Events
10:15 – 11:00 a.m. Girls’ Running Events
Boys’ Field Events
11:00 – 11:45 a.m. Relays (Girls & Boys)
Part-time Bus Drivers Needed
Training Provided, Competitive Pay
Transportation Department @ 286-8440
Logan Elementary Site Council will meet five times throughout the school year. Our first two meetings were September 13th and October 11th. The remaining dates are January 10th, February 21st, and April 11th. Meetings are from 6:30-7:30 p.m. Site Council members assist in evaluating school goals and objectives and advise on methods to meet those goals. Site Council members are also kept informed of school programs and procedures.
Please continue to send in your Box Tops for Education. We will submit Box Top labels to earn money for our school. Please trim your box tops before sending them to school.
This is such an easy way to raise money for your school. Just clip, put in a Ziploc bag, and send to school with your student.