- In January, 1996, the Seaman Class of '55 with the cooperation of the Administration and Board of Unified School District No. 345 established the Seaman High School Historical Society. On April 15, 1996, the Society became a Not-for-profit Kansas Corporation.
- During its first year of operation 140 plus alumni and friends of Seaman, representing classes from 1921 through 1960, expressed their support for this effort and became CHARTER members of the Society. Thirty-six of these first 40 Seaman classes are represented in the list of Charter members.
The Museum "Open Schedule" is 2:00-4:00 pm, unless otherwise noted.
Upcoming Open Dates
July 8, 2018
September 9, 2018
November 11, 2018
January 13, 2019
March 10, 2019
May 5, 2019 (Annual Meeting/Officer Elections - Museum Open)
June 2, 2019 - Alumni Banquet - Museum Open
July 14, 2019
We are happy to have the Museum open at other times than scheduled.
Call for an appointment: Janet (Thomas) Shupe, 785-228-5669
or Dorothy (Glasgow) Miller, 785-249-5039.
OPEN HOUSE AT THE MUSEUM & ARCHIVES
- The Society hosts an open house for persons interested in visiting the museum at scheduled times through the school year (may call an officer for day and time). The museum is open on the Sunday of the annual Alumni Banquet from 2-4. Any other Special tours through the Museum for class reunions, etc. may be scheduled by calling Dorothy Miller at 785-249-5039.
WE WELCOME YOUR VISITS
GOALS WE HAVE MET
- Preserve the history of Seaman High School and USD 345--it's students, graduates, faculty, administration, staff & facilities..
- Established a permanent display of photographs, yearbooks, school newspapers, school attendance records and other appropriate Seaman District memorabilia.
- Display the above in the archives room and museum on the upper level of the original Seaman Rural High School building at North Tyler and Lyman Road, Topeka, Kansas.
- Have the exhibit open for viewing on a regularly scheduled basis.
- Have volumes of the OBITUARY ALBUM which holds obituaries of students, graduates, faculty, administration and staff to always be remembered.
- Provide the necessary personnel to staff the exhibit.
- Have a WAR MEMORIAL ALBUM to Seaman Students who served in the Military and died for their country.
- Continue to grow the membership in the Seaman High School Historical Society, receive and catalog items in the museum/archives.
- The Society publishes a newsletter called the "VIKING NEWSLETTER" three times a year, February, June and October. It includes information from the monthly society meetings, items of interest in the museum, and keeps members informed of the schedule of when the museum is open.
OUR MEMBERSHIP CATEGORIES
Membership in the Society is offered to anyone who has an interest in the preservation of the history of Seaman High School and Unified District No. 345.
Individual-One Year - $15.00
Individual-Five Year - $60.00
Individual-Lifetime - $200.00
Business-One Year - $35.00
Business-Lifetime - $300.00
Memorial-In Memory of a
Seaman graduate, faculty,
staff or board member - $100.00
Please select the category that is best for you, fill out an application form and return to us. All membership dues collected wil be used to purchase necessary items to operate the museum.
Click here for Membership Application Form
Position Name Address Phone Number President Robert Taylor (1961) 785-478-9593 Vice-President Larry Marken 4042 NW Button Rd Topeka KS 66618 785-286-1915 email@example.com Secretary Jillann (Mosher) Mahoney-Dawdy 3743 Sunset Dr Grantville KS 66429 785-246-3280 Asst. Secretary Amy (Stone) Harrison (1988) 785-250-3345 Treasurer Janet (Thomas) Shupe 5315 SW 22nd Park Topeka KS 66614 785-228-5669 firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Society Board can use your help to construct and operate the Museum. All labor is strictly volunteer. So, as a Society member you may want to donate some your time to help with this project. If so, please check the "I WANT TO HELP" box on your application form and we will contact you.
Click on the link located with Membership Categories for the application form.