Career Pathways provide students a sequential set of classes to explore careers of interest and develop skills in preparation for college and a career.
Introductory courses allow students to explore a wide variety of careers within the field. Technical level courses focus on specific skills that are needed within the career area. Students who have gained the technical skills within the pathway are eligible to enroll in Application level courses, which provide "real-world" experiences in the classroom with industry mentors or through professional workplace experience.
Benefits of College & Career Pathways
- Access to exclusive project-based learning experiences
- Exposure to high-demand, high-income industries
- Small learning communities of students centered on your student’s field of interest
- Career exploration so student can determine his/her career and educational plan beyond high school
- Freedom to explore multiple pathways
- College credit opportunities
Seaman High School has grown career pathways offerings from 9 to 24 for the 2018-19 school year. Expanding career and technical pathways will provide more opportunities for students to become career ready and ease the transition from high school to careers and post-secondary studies.
What are pathways?
Pathways help students link classroom work to careers. This connection to future goals motivates students to work harder and enroll in more rigorous courses.
How does a student complete a pathway?
Each pathway consists of three levels. After a student successfully completes the required course(s) in each level, that pathway is complete. Introductory courses allow students to explore a wide variety of careers within the field. Technical level courses focus on specific skills that are needed within the career area. Students who have gained the technical skills within the pathway are eligible to enroll in Application level courses, which provide "real-world" experiences in the classroom with industry mentors or through professional workplace experience. Courses required to complete pathways can be found in the program planning guide by visiting or talking with a counselor. Many courses qualify for more than one pathway so it is possible for students to complete multiple pathways.
Why should students consider completing pathways in high school?
There are many benefits of pathway completion beyond the exposure to careers and the in-depth knowledge and skills that students acquire. Pathway completers are considered employment ready and eligible for preferred post-secondary enrollment and scholarships. Much like apprenticeship programs, students who complete pathways can obtain employment in high demand fields and earn an income while continuing their education and training.
College & Career Pathways available at Seaman High School
Agriculture, Food & Natural Resources
1. AGRIBUSINESS SYSTEMS
2. COMPREHENSIVE AGRICULTURE SCIENCE
3. ANIMAL SCIENCE
4. PLANT SYSTEMS
5. POWER, STRUCTURAL & TECHNICAL SYSTEMS
Architecture & Construction
6. CONSTRUCTION & DESIGN - CONSTRUCTION
7. CONSTRUCTION & DESIGN - DESIGN
Arts, A/V Technology & Communications
8. AUDIO/VISUAL COMMUNICATIONS
Business Management & Administration
9. BUSINESS MANAGEMENT & ENTREPRENEURSHIP - SUPPORTIVE BUSINESS & ENTREPRENEURSHIP TECHNICAL
10. BUSINESS MANAGEMENT & ENTREPRENEURSHIP - SUPPORTIVE ENTREPRENEURSHIP TECHNICAL
12. ENGINEERING & APPLIEDMATHEMATICS
Education & Training
13. TEACHING & TRAINING
14. BUSINESS FINANCE - BANKING SERVICES
15. BUSINESS FINANCE - ACCOUNTING
Government & Public Administration
16. GOVERNMENT & PUBLIC ADMINISTRATION
19. HEALTH SCIENCE
20. EARLY CHILDHOOD DEVELOPMENT & SERVICES
21. FAMILY, COMMUNITY & CONSUMER SERVICES
22. PROGRAMMING & SOFTWARE DEVELOPMENT
23. WEB & DIGITAL COMMUNICATIONS